Villa Endymion is the first independent work of the well-known architect Theodorus Wijdefeld (1885-1987). The villa is named after the remarkable piece of poetry by John Keats (1795-1821). This magnificent property was completed between 1909 and 1911 for the architect’s sister Marie and her husband, Mr. E.J. Everts. Mr. Wijdefeld also oversaw the creation of the extensive gardens in 1910 and, later in 1924 under a new owner, the pergola and the garage complete with living quarters for the chauffeur.
The rare style in which the monumental façade of the house has been executed is described as “Um 1800”. This was a German architectural trend seen at the end of the 19th Century and it draws its inspiration from the Louis XVI style. Villa Endymion, however, has much in common with the work of the Dutch architect Peter Behrens (1868-1938) who favoured a strict and sober Roman Classicism.
In the 1920s, Villa Endymion was acquired by Carel W. Baron van Heeckeren and his young wife Johanna C.L. de Kock. In 1924, Wijdeveld was retained to build a garage with chauffeur housing.
The cultural value of Villa Endymion has been officially recognized and the main villa, pergola and tea house are now a registered landmark under historic protection.